Common Interview Questions
- Why are you looking for a job?
- Why are you interested in working for our company?
- How has school prepared you for working at our company?
- Why should we hire you?
- What do you think it takes to be successful in this position?
- How would you describe your ability to work as a team member?
- Describe one of your greatest strengths.
- What are your areas for self-improvement?
Before the Interview
- Practice Answers – use note cards until memorized, talk out loud, “mock interview” with a friend
- Research the Company/Agency – check out website, background of staff (use LinkedIn), Mission Statement?
- Plan Your Outfit – not about $$, generally not too fancy/not too lax (e.g., business casual). [Discount/Resale stores have many good options! (e.g., TJ Maxx, Ross, Goodwill)]
- Bring With You – copy of your Resume (just in case), a Notepad, and Pen/Pencil to write with (shows you are prepared!)
During the Interview
- Confident Greeting! – Make eye-contact, firm handshake, good posture
- Honest and Ambitious – “I’ve only used that program once, but I’m eager to learn!”
- Embrace the Pause – take time to think about and answer each question
- Remember, you are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you!
After the Interview
- Follow up with a thank-you email or note within 48 hours (reiterate your interest, remind of a skill you forgot you mention, elaborate on an answer), BUT keep it brief!
Always Remember Self-care!
Breathe, positive self-talk, get support from loved ones, take a walk, listen to music.